Black Friday.  Sounds so doom impending (cue the chiller theatre music).
Many have set their alarm to be out and ready to marathon shop before most of us slip a toe out from under the warm covers after a day of gorging on turkey and pie.
Lines will form and extend out into the parking lots and wrap around stores.  All in the name of a really good deal at "rock bottom prices!" I call this the black Friday Cha-Cha!
About 20 years ago I worked in the thick of those after thanksgiving sales. It really surprised me at how rude people were. The sad thing is, it's only gotten worse.
 When my time came to an end and I was done with the midnight madness sales, I declared I would never shop the black Friday "Evarr again!" (That's my 21 year old self talking).
It bothers me at how rude and selfish people are. Especially after spending a day reflecting on all of the things we are thankful for.
 Christ taught us to love one another and to be selfless. This morning I watched (from the comfort of my toasty bed) people packed like sardines yelling, shoving, and trampling each other.  I saw fights where security and police had to come and restore order.
All I can think of is this:
John 13:34-35 GNB
And now I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  If you have love for one another, then everyone will know that you are my disciples.”

I may venture out with my guys later on. I'm always curious to see what's left over from the early shoppers.
I hope you all had a blessed Thanksgiving and if you are out shopping this morning, remember the love of Christ.


Leave a Reply