Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters! Everyone must be quick to listen, but slow to speak and slow to become angry. Human anger does not achieve God's righteous purpose.
James 1:19-20 GNB


Whoa boy....

Anger.


It can get the best of us can't it?

In times of change and waiting, anger can really creep up on me if I'm not careful.
Waiting is so hard. I mean, if you're waiting for something good like an upcoming celebration or vacation then that's different. I'm talking about waiting on what is unseen. That thing that is looming over your head. The one that you've been prepped for about as vaguely as you can be.  You know you'll be affected by it somehow but, you don't know if it will be to your favor or not?  yeah, that thing.

SIGH.

People get tense when they have to wait on those things they don't have any control over. If you're like me, you like to prepare.  I'll put on my introvert hat for you and tell you, If I know I have to be in a situation where I'm surrounded by lots of chaos and people, I have to mentally prepare myself. If I'm not given enough time to prepare, I get a bit on edge.

Typically, the hubs and I balance each other out quite nicely. If I'm having a moment and feeling a bit on edge. He lets me vent, offers his advice and supports me (and a little chocolate doesn't hurt either).  When he's a bit out of sorts, I'm the alkaline that listens and soothes. However, when we are both in the same boat? WOWZA!
We  look to each other to keep the balance and it's just doesn't happen sometimes.



How do we get from complete and total frustration and anger over something that we have absolutely no control over? Or maybe we do but, pride gets in the way and we take on too many tasks when we should have given a firm but polite "No"?

We need to find an outlet. Something to burn off some of that steam before we start burning it off on each other (without any intention to).
But first, what else does the bible say about anger?

Well, I'm perusing James a bit more and let me just tell you, maybe this is just for me. Because, James 1:22 (GNB) says: Do not deceive yourselves by just listening to his word; instead put it into practice.

My cheeks are turning red.

If I'm coming to you telling you about Anger and how we as Christians need to handle anger, I surely need to be practicing what I'm preaching.

Psalms 37:8 says Don't give in to worry or anger; it only leads to trouble.

Um.... Like the times that you speak (in anger) before you think? Oh yeah, been there done that! Bet I could probably sell a cute T-shirt on Etsy with just the words "Think before you speak" on it and make a little dough.

So, as I'm pouring out my heart to you. My heart that's still a little angry by the way. I'm not saying that it's not OK to ever be angry because, the Bible tells us not to sin in our anger. Ephesians 4:26-27 (GNB) says If you become angry, do no let your anger lead you into sin, and do not stay angry all day. Don't give the Devil a chance.


I just got back from a long walk with a good friend. A little fresh air and some chat time certainly helps put things into perspective sometimes doesn't it?
How do you diffuse when you get angry?

Linking up with The Faith Barista









Leave a Reply