A little blonde girl with rosy chubby cheeks cried as she stood atop the new curly slide on the playground. "Why are you crying? " seven year old me asked. "Nobody will play with me"  She had said. "I'll play with you! "I said as I smiled at her. Another friend lost her mama to cancer when we were in fifth grade. I tried to comfort her as only an eleven year old girl growing up in the 80's could.
My mama always taught me to be kind to the people that looked like they needed a friend. I've carried that with me as I've grown.  Even now as a thirtysomething mama.
I've always been amazed at how so many people that have crossed my path have felt comfortable in sharing things with me. Perfect strangers even, sharing some pretty dark deep secrets!
Today a complete stranger says to me "I don't know why I'm so on edge lately. I've been so mean to my husband and he's such a great guy to put up with me. (She sighs heavily) My daughter is getting married next weekend. I don't know why I'm so stressed about it!"
We're sitting in the salon waiting area making small talk about massages. I say "you know, I could see being stressed about your daughter's wedding. I'm sure you want it to be perfect. I think I would be a little on edge too!" I smile. 
She is whisked off to her appointment and I'm left sitting by myself to ponder this.
Why do these people find me so safe to confide in? They don't even know me! Why Lord? When I have questions and problems of my own.
This is the reason that I started this blog. God has called me to write. To write this blog. Wow, what a request!  Now I get to share with you. I admit to having full blown panic attacks after hitting the publish button for the first two posts.
I don't intend to have a great following. All that I ask is that God's light brightly shines through my words. If I can only touch one person then my job will be complete.
You see, I'm a lot like you. I have the same challenges, the same worries. What wakes you in the middle of the night and stirs your mind stirs me too sweet mamas.

So I have a challenge for you. Find one person this week that looks like they could use some encouragement.  The new teacher at your child's school, the frazzled mama at the grocery store, the older woman who's recently lost her spouse. Offer a little grace and a smile.  You might not know how much of a blessing you'll be.  As it is written in Job 4:4 GNB
When someone stumbled, weak and tired, your words encouraged him to stand.

Have an extraordinary week!


Leave a Reply