Selah.

Ever read that word in the bible?  Have you wondered what it was, what it meant, or like me you pondered it quickly and skipped to the verses following?

This week I think I've come to know what Selah means and have been forced to put it into action in my own life.  Somehow God always knows when we've been pushing ourselves too hard and need to take a break.  You know how you start feeling  burnt out and tell yourself "I'll make time for me later." or "If I can just get through these next couple of weeks, I'll have time to rest and do the things that really need attention".

Selah.  The definition I was able to locate is:  To take pause and think about...

This word, Selah is found in the book of Psalms 73 times.
Let's look at it in action:


8Trust in God at all times, my people. Tell him all your troubles, for he is our refuge. Selah. Psalm 62:8


Most of us read this and go "oh, that's nice." We should trust him and tell him what's in our heart because he is our refuge. but, Selah? We might just keep breezing on through the next verses if we don't know what that word truly means.

I liken Selah to a delicious marinade.  You're heart and mind are like that succulent piece of chicken or roast. God's word is like a delicious marinade. Pour those words into your heart and mind and let them soak it in and retain that amazing flavor. The flavor of His word and promises. Certain verses just need time to marinate.  Just like we, need to take time and pause.

The past few days I've been out of commission. A forced Selah/pause.
I dislocated my shoulder and have been on the mend for the past few days. The hubs has been my right hand (literally) and keeping up with the things I can't do without using both arms. I've been following doctor's orders and doing light stretching and movement so that the muscles don't freeze up and go into spasm.  It's just funny how many things I've had to ask for help with. Things I completely take for granted.



However, these past few days I've been able to sit and read. Something I just don't have a whole lot of time for. Or maybe I don't make the time for...
I've had time to rest. A good friend even came over and took me to lunch. It was nice catching up and laughing a bit to take my mind off the uncomfortable throb of my shoulder.

He has a way of alerting us that we need to slow down or Selah.  I feel like, if we don't take heed then he'll find a way to slow us down eventually. 

Praise the Lord, who carries our burdens day after day; he is the God who saves us.  Selah.  Psalm 68:19 GNB


Have you ever had to slow and rest when your life was in busy mode?  Has this changed the way you do things now (meaning, do you now purposefully make time to pause and reflect)?.



Blessings,




photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/53326337@N00/5005190614">Arm in a sling</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/">(license)</a


One Comment

  1. So sorry you dislocated your shoulder, Krista! Praying for it to be healed!

    I love the perspective you give about Selah as a marinade. Often I do read verses without pausing and letting it soak in. Thank you for this reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete