If I could time travel and sit on the stoop with 10 year old me, this is the advice I would give her:

 Enjoy the sticky hot summers, feel the cool summer grass under your feet at nightfall, catch lightening bugs. Sit on the back stoop eating Popsicles, sticky chin, dandelion wishes. Lay in bed with the windows open listening to the frog song and cricket chirps. Enjoy playing barbies, coloring pictures under the big shade tree. Read Shel Silverstein and giggle with your best friend. Run through sprinklers, Cartwheel all the way to the back fence, swing as high in the sky as you can... Enjoy the wait.

Whatever you do, don't rush.



You see....

Once upon a time, there was a girl who loved to play dress up, wear her mama's shoes and try to apply her makeup. She also loved splashing in mud puddles and reading to her beloved beagle.
One day, this girl started wishing. She wished for things that made her impatient with how things were. Although she retreated to her bedroom to play dolls and dream of one day having real babies to dress and feed, she felt a strong desire to be older. With each passing birthday she looked forward to ten but mostly thirteen. She had older cousins in their teens and she looked up to them so much! She wanted to wear lip gloss and go places with her friends just like they did.
Thirteen finally came and so did the training bras and awkwardness. But, thirteen wanted to be sixteen and sixteen wanted to be eighteen and well, eighteen wanted to be twenty-one.
I remember sitting in Junior high study hall, completely distracted by my own day dreams instead of studying for a history test. I would dream about what life would be like when I was grown. How easy life would be as a grown up "because I could do anything I want!"  There were so many moments that this girl wished away. Now that I'm grown and approaching a milestone birthday, I wish I would've slowed down and enjoyed the different stages. Even though there are times I would never want a 'do over' on.

If I could talk to my younger self, I would tell her what I often tell my ten year old son. "Don't wish your life away, enjoy your childhood, play hard and don't worry about what everybody else is doing!"  I watch my son as the baby fat fades and cherub like face is becoming more grown up with each passing day. He hasn't really started wanting to act older than he is. In fact, I think he just is enjoying playing in the backyard, riding his bike, laughing at the funny noises our bodies make occasionally, and spending time running around with his buddies.


As I approach the next decade of my life, I've decided I'm moving forward and making a strong effort to slow down. I'm going to enjoy my life moment by moment. Even those moments that aren't so glorious. I'm positive there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Be joyful always, pray at all times, be thankful in all circumstances. This is what God wants from you in your life in union with Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 GNB

Linking up today at the #raralinkupCoffee for your heart & The Faith Barista


Blessings,



One Comment

  1. Such good advice to give to your son and any child. :) And for us even as adults. Just to savor each moment and not try to run ahead to the next thing. :) Thank you, Krista.

    ReplyDelete