The breakfast of champions.

If you're doing the 17 day diet, you've probably realized that breakfast is well, eggs. Especially cycle one.

The hubs looked at me after about a week in and said "uh, honey? Is there anything else we can have besides eggs?" I searched and searched to no avail. Outside of reheating last nights leftovers (chicken breast and veggies), you're pretty much going to have eggs.

This has truly been a challenge. We got creative and did eggs with sauteed peppers, onions, and mushrooms. With a side of chicken sausage. That was pretty good but, it was the weekend and during the week, we look a bit like the Bumstead's getting ready (somebody please tell me you remember Blondie & Dagwood?). We need to grab it and go. I've wanted to try the muffin tin eggs but, have been a bit apprehensive. So, typically, whoever gets to the kitchen first gets the eggs going. Some mornings we add some cheese and salsa. Most mornings, it's a bit of cheese and we follow it up with a piece of fruit.

Since we hit Cycle 2, it's given us a bit more freedom every other day. I've done Fiber one cereal with milk and a piece of fruit and an egg. My favorite is mixing the Fiber one into my Greek yogurt (Dannon Oikos triple zero is stevia sweetened and tastes pretty good). This fills me up for a bit until I break for my mid morning snack.



Another tasty breakfast recipe I found is for oatmeal bars. I'm still playing with this as it can be modified to your liking.

Since it's October, I've been excited about the pumpkin everything that comes out this time of year. This oatmeal bar, isn't sugary sweet and has no sugar added. I tried it plain the first go round and it smelled like fall in my kitchen. Cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice... Oh my, I just knew it would taste as good as it smelled. The next morning I popped it into the microwave to warm it up a bit. My mouth watered as I cut into the first bite. I started to chew, the texture was great, the flavor? Well, there wasn't any. So, I couldn't help it but I put just a little drizzle of honey (I know, it's not on the list but...) to give it a little sweet.

The next go round I decided I would chop up an apple and mix the apple into the batter. The apple really helped give it more flavor and natural sweetness. I'm really excited to try some other variations and experiment with natural sweetness of fruit to give it some more pizazz.

Pumpkin Apple Oatmeal bars

2 cups oatmeal

1 Tsp cinnamon

1 Tsp nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice

1 Tsp Stevia

1 medium apple chopped

1 3/4 cup pumpkin (canned)

3/4 cup milk (almond milk, coconut milk, moo juice, whichever you prefer)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl

Add pumpkin, chopped apple, milk, and mix til combined.

Spray an 8X8 pan with cooking spray

Pour oatmeal mixture into pan, smoothing and spreading it evenly.

Bake 35 minutes when done, leave in oven an additional 20 minutes after turning oven off.

enjoy with hot mug of green tea.

I suggest refrigerating after it cools.

Makes 6 servings


What's your favorite go to recipe?


Leave a Reply